Monday, September 20, 2010

I love to Cook!

I have a secret. I LOVE to collect........COOKBOOKS. no kidding, it is a thing I can't resist. I love them all. I read them. I love older ones the best. I love also, ones women collect recipes and make their own, you are getting family favorites. Oh heck, just take me to a yardsale, with cookbooks and I will shake. I am addicted.

To add to it I love to cook and bake. I couldn't wait to have kids and bake all these yummy things for them. So I had kids. Then I found out, trying to keep up with them, I had no time left. Now finally even with health issues, I have begun again, slowly.

I don't have any money (who does with the economy) but getting help with food is humbling, and you learn to do with what you have. The uber best banana muffins I have EVER had were made by my new cousin J, whom I have fell in love with (waving hi J!) She is a strong wonderful spirit in a young body. I will let her share her stuff on her blog. So I made a banana nut bread. without the nuts. Because we have no nuts. And I found out Hero doesn't like the walnuts in his sweet breads. What you learn. So, here is how my bread turned out:





And you see the loaf pan. Yes, I also like to collect older cooking tools, pans and dishes. LOVE it. they are so pretty. Oh I love the older corel bake ware, with the colors, shapes and sizes. And what a deal you can get at thrift stores and yard sales. and how pretty! I tried my hand at a pretty presentation. But that is real butter, yes it is. and it made a huge loaf. I have to tell you it has been one day and it is gone. I didn't get much either. I  had no nuts and they still loved it.  Here is the recipe, it is from "Betty Crocker's Cookbook" 8th printing, 1983.

Banana Nut Bread

2  1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
3 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/3 cup milk
1 egg
1 1/4 cups mashed bananas
1 cup chopped nuts

now here is how I put it together, i used an old fashioned wooden spoon to cream, etc, I was too lazy to get out the kitchen aid mixer.

Heat oven to 350. Grease bottom only of loaf pan (I used a generic Pam type spray) 9x5x3 inches or 2 loaf pans 8 1/2 by 4 1/2 by 2 1/2 inches. Mix all ingredients. Beat 30 seconds.

I did it by hand and here is how I did it. I mixed the sugars together. I then separately combined the dry ingredients. I altered mixing in first some or the bananas and wet ingredients, then some of the flour mixture, until it was all mixed in really well.

Pour into pans. Bake until Wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 9 inch loaf 55 to 65 minutes (you might need 5 minutes more up to 70, I am at a 5500 feet altitude so mine will vary from others). 8 inch loaves 55 to 60 minutes. Cool slightly. Loosen sides of loaf from pan, remove from pan. Cool completely before slicing. to store, Wrap an refrigerate no longer than one week.

Now, I kept it in my wooden bread box, and it didn't last a day but it was yummy.

2 comments:

  1. I am with you on the cook books. I have a Betty Crocker that is dated 1950 first edition fourth printing. I love old cookbooks because they cook from scratch. You know me I love to bake with my kids and grandkids and any other kids that are willing to learn.lol
    Also I don't like walnuts either.

    ReplyDelete